If you are confused about note making and its benefits, drawback then read this till end. Lot of people talk about the importance of notes making while preparing for ias exam but some of the IAS topper say that they never made a single note while they prepared.
Theses two opinion confuse many ias aspirants about note making for ias exam. Today we will know the real note making process and its benefits, drawback etc in details.
What Is Note Making ?
In note making, we reduce the total length of the paragraph in smaller sentence where we include important keywords, phrases. The meaning of the paragraph remain same even after we reduce the word count to 1/10 of the original paragraph.
Why do we need notes ?
Memorizing long paragraph is bit difficult than small sentences. Sometime we have to memorize some paragraph and understand the meaning in less time. We use note making process to do this effectively. In note making we reduce word limit to 1/10 of the original sentences.
We use only keywords and main phrases so that we can effectively understand the meaning of the paragraph in less content. The Ideal rule of note making is the ratio between original paragraph to note which stand at 1/10 of the original.
Whenever you make note keep in mind the limit of the words and ratio then only you can make an effectively note which can help in ias exam preparation. Let us find some key tips about note making in IAS exam preparation.
Types Of Note Making !
Now we categorize note making in two types- 1- Notes making in papers, Hard copy and 2- Digital notes. We will read more about each one by one-
Hard Copy Notes/ Traditional Way of Note Making-
This one of the most common and old method of note making which you may have learned in your school days. Note making in hard copy or paper has some benefits over digital notes. Some of them are given below-
- When we make notes in paper with the help of paper and pen , we actually do writing practice which is helpful in for main exam. Studies have shown that wen we write something,we memorize it better. So hand made notes helps in writing practice and memorizing.
- In Papers notes we can make notes with the help of colors which looks more attractive and easy to read and memorize. So many students make colorful notes for IAS exam.
- You can make small notes and pin them in the respective chapter, this makes very easy to understand the complete lesson in very short time.
Digital notes are same like paper notes but they are made in your laptop or smartphone and saved in digital form. Digital notes are easy to make and store because you can store them in one folder with simple save button.
Digital notes can be made in different types – You can note down selected keywords, phrases in your computer and save them with the title. later on you can edit them easily. This is very simple way of digital note making . In other way, you can use some ready made software like- Pocket and evernote to make note digitally.
These app are very useful for online note making, whenever you are reading any important topics you can bookmark it and save it in these apps.
You can access these notes from any part of the world with internet connection. You need your email id and internet connection to access them.
Benefits Of Note Making In IAS Preparation !
There are lot of benefits of note making in IAS exam preparation and some of them are explained here in detail.
- Note making helps in memorizing thing quickly in less time. You can memorize anything faster of you make note of it. So it helps in memorizing things
- Revision is the key to success in IAS exam process so notes play crucial role here. Notes helps in revision of the study material. You can revise things more effectively with the help of notes.
- Notes are very important at the last time of the ias preparation. In last 4-5 days before exam, you will not get enough time to read the complete book again or revise it completely. If you have made notes of it, you can do it in 2-3 days and revise the complete syllabus.
- While making notes your writing skills improves, your speed improves and you remember thing better than you do not make notes.( if IQ level is same )
Drawback Of Note Making In IAS Preparation !
Everything comes with pro and cons and note making is no different so let us read some of the drawbacks in note making-
- Note making need some extra time to make good notes, simply coping same material again is not effective way of note making. So note making need some extra time.
- Note making is boring for those who do not believe in writing practice so some aspirants hate note making while preparing for ias exam.
- Arrangement of notes is needed and it takes time to do all these things otherwise you will spend more time in searing your notes which you have made one month before.
- Additional material for aspirants , The UPSC syllabus is already a big nut to crack if you make notes, this make more study material to read in initial period of preparation. But once you make good notes, you need not to read all the material same time. You can skip books and read notes.
The drawbacks are not actually drawbacks in ias preparation but it needs some time and efforts to make them, so note making is a good habit for all the competitive exams, it will help you somehow in entire journey of exam preparation.
The Bottom Line is-The success is not fully depend on notes making but it contribute at the end of the exam. So if you like it and have enough time to make notes, go for it otherwise utilize your time in other ways to score high in the UPSC exam.
- Download Last 10 Years UPSC Question Papers With Answers (PDF)
- UPSC Age Limit ,UPSC Eligibility & Full Details-Latest Updated
- Indian And World Geography Books For UPSC Exam.
- Best Books For UPSC Exam Prelims And Mains.
- IAS Salary, IAS Monthly Salary ,IAS In Hand Salary Details.
- How To Prepare For Ias After 12th ? Complete Guide